The Christian Label

While I was taking my dog out I ran into one of my neighbors. He asked the usual question, "How are you?" and I responded with an automated response of, "Good. How are you?" while running down the stairs quickly. He surprised me by answering, "Not so good. I am in a lot of pain. I have nine screws and a metal plate in my shoulder." He then proceeded to tell me how it happened right before BMX racing season. Even though this is the most info I have learned about him in two years I didn't ask questions I just listened and nodded. I kept thinking of how I should tell him that I will be praying for him. But when the one sided conversation wrapped up I all I could say was, "Well... good luck with that." As I walked away I kept asking myself why on earth was I afraid to let him know that I was praying for him? I am RIDICULOUS!

Protestors against homosexuality
I honestly think I was afraid he would assume I was Christian, even though that would be a correct assumption!  I think I have been reading and hearing so many stories lately about Christians who are embarrassing the heck out of me. I was afraid he would assume I was one of those Christians...Homosexual hating, anti-science/evolution, Ultra-conservative, Qur'an burning, end of the world predicting, stuff the bible down your throat Christians. Living in the bible belt I drive past signs on churches that say things like... Detour from God puts you on the path to hell. Or Don't put a question mark where God put a period.  There is an endless list of signs representing Christianity as closed-minded group who loves to judge others and think they are better than everyone else. This is true with stories and situations I hear on the news. I have also watched friends who were once strong Christians in their teen years fall away from faith completely because they didn't feel they fit into the worldly Christian label of anti-gay or conservative.

I think this is why I was so afraid to tell the man I would pray for him. But what happened to Paul's words... "I am not ashamed of the gospel in the book of Romans? I felt so guilty for acting this way because this verse kept going through my head. Then I realized I didn't feel ashamed of the gospel. I am ashamed of how Christians have represented it. However, I didn't even represent it at all. The whole heart and core of Christianity is reflecting Christ to everyone. What would Jesus have done? I assume he would have stopped and looked into that man's eyes and listened to him and asked him more questions to get to know him. He may have prayed for him on the spot or asked if he wanted prayer. He would have done something to represent his Father and to show this man love.

Hopefully, next time I will live to represent the gospel and not be afraid of the Christian label. Next time I hope to change the worldly thoughts of the Christian label by acting more like Christ with love. I am asking Christians to join me by loving instead of judging and by acting out in love instead of selfishness. Let's change the world's view so when they hear the word "Christian" they think holy and gracious thoughts attached to the term.

Comments

  1. Working in IT for some reason it is just kind of assumed that you aren't stupid enough to believe in Christianity anymore (science and logic did away with the need for that, right?). I have a real hard time opening my mouth and saying anything remotely Christ-related. Too afraid to be written off early.

    Somebody's got to break the label, though. It ain't going to break itself. :-)

    Great post, Sam. Keep running hard. I hear there's a prize for the victor. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to start working on showing everyone my faith through love and kindness too, and not being one of 'those christians'. Your post really inspired me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Home Run Prayer

From Arrogant Pride to LGBTQ Pride - A Transformation Story

Experiencing the Unseen