Pfunky Griddle Experience

A few weeks ago I went to the Pfunky Griddle in Nashville. It was a completely bizarre experience! When you walk in the small house like restaurant you are seated at a table with a griddle in the middle of the table and you see people cooking and flipping their own pancakes, potatoes, etc. At first I was super pumped! What a creative and fun hands-on dining experience!But the more I thought about it I started feeling like a fool. Basically, I am paying for people to bring me food to cook myself? I can do this at home! My mind kept going back and forth thinking this place was either genius or the dumbest idea ever. Not sure, but either way it was an interesting experience. I think I would go back even though my mind is still conflicted about how I feel about the concept.

Then I started thinking how much the Pfunky Griddle is how I do youth ministry. I feel like most churches have a set meal plan and a certain way to prepare the gospel in order to know "how many people are saved". Most churches have a specific menu and specialties they offer to people prepared perfectly so it is not only the best but it's done right. I prefer the method of the Pfunky Griddle. When students come to youth group they read about different perspectives on the menu. They are handed ingredients and I let them make their own spiritual food. I give them the main ingredients... Jesus, God, the Holy Spirit, and love. There may be a few suggestions on the wall on how to best prepare for life but when it comes down to it they must learn how to do it themselves.  I teach them all kinds of ways they can or could prepare their food and ways that I have learned. However, they are the ones that have to do the cooking and eating. The best part is when they come up with something different or better than I have. This is scary for a lot of youth ministers and churches because it's not a neat and easy way to know for sure if kids are coming to know Jesus. I will admit it's scary for me too and I struggle to decide if it's genius or straight up dumb. Yet, I am such a firm believer in tossing the seeds and getting out of the way to let the Holy Spirit do the rest of the growing.

Thank you Pfunky Griddle for the inspiration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Run Prayer

From Arrogant Pride to LGBTQ Pride - A Transformation Story

Experiencing the Unseen