My Witness of the Good Samaritan Story

If you have not read the Good Samaritan story you MUST to do so before you continue to read this post... http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2010:25-37&version=NIV

I used to read the Good Samaritan and simply thought it was a good story. I didn't think much about applying it to life. However, this past Sunday I watched Christ's word unfold into reality. Now, it's not exactly the same, but it's the closest I have ever encountered.

My husband and I were in a bit of a rush to church like normal. I was focused on getting my son to the nursery and slipping in the sanctuary in time for worship. When we got near the church door, Andrew and I noticed a man sitting at the picnic tables with a suitcase and his dog. I was so focused on getting into church my first thought was maybe the boyscouts just got back from a retreat because this guy had a suitcase with him. If I was in downtown Nashville I would have known he was homeless. But this was Nolensville and it seemed so out of context.

"Do you think he is homeless?" I asked my husband.
This is not Sam,but reminds me of him

"Um yeah!" He responded in the kind of tone suggesting DUH!

Honestly, I was so focused on getting to church that I forgot God calls us to BE the church.

I brought Desmond to the nursery while Andrew invited him to the service. Unfortunately, Andrew returned to church without him. He told me that he was waiting to go to the traditional service. After the service, we grabbed a few youth and went back outside to invite him to church breakfast. Andrew and a few of the youth got to have breakfast with him and listen to his life story. His name was Sam, and he walked all the way from Georgia to get to Nashville in hopes of getting a job.  Along the way he had been attacked, slept outside through storms, and badly sprained his ankle. His outside appearance reflected a rough journey. Sam just needed a ride to Nashville and a place to stay so his ankle could heal.There is so much more to his story!

But the part of his story I will never forget is how he talked about how churches have rejected him. He mentioned how churches turned down his plea for help. He talked about how he was neglected and I imagined others walking on the other side of the road like in the Good Samaritan story. The Church. The hands and feet of Jesus Christ. God's vessel for reaching out, loving, serving our brothers and sisters in Christ.We, the Church, rejected him.

I started feeling sick inside when I heard this and my heart just sunk. I broke into tears (which doesn't happen often) and this scripture flooded in my mind, Matthew 25:45, "Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me." I looked in Sam's eyes and for a split second, I saw Christ. I realized how even Christ was rejected by His own Church. The same Church who sing praises to His name. Oh how this must infuriate the Lord! 

What I love about the Good Samaritan story is that the good Samaritan didn't just throw some money at the man and went about his way. The good Samaritan followed through by taking care of this guy. He did everything he could to help him and to make sure he was well taken care of.

Some people just want to do the minimum for a quick fix to the situation. Some believe since Sam is not a member of the community he is not the Church's responsibility.
 Have we missed the whole point of the Good Samaritan story? The whole story was the response to an expert of the law's question,"Who is my neighbor?". This story sprouts from Jesus' command to love your neighbor as yourself.

So who is our neighbor?

I believe we are ONE community.

Most people acted as one community and I saw SEVERAL Good Samaritans in this story. This gives me great hope for the Church.

 My husband and another church member gave Sam a ride to Nashville. They were the Good Samaritans along with several people in the church who helped give what they could. Sam is resting now in a hotel with a supply of groceries. He has a job interview on Friday with the Nashville Contributor.

This doesn't completely fix his situation and much more needs to be done. But for now at least Sam knows people care. I hope he knows that Jesus cares.

Which person are you in the Good Samaritan story? I have been the priest who ignored those in need probably more often than I have been the Good Samaritan. My prayer is that God will continue to break my heart for what breaks His. This is because broken hearts often lead to greater things. It is in our complacency where selfishness and evil reside. 


Comments

  1. Awesome story, Sam!!! Prayers for Sam to get the job & start a new part of his story......

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Contributor program is a good one. P J. And I have several friends who are homeless and sell the papers. We talk with them mornings on our way in. They are good people.. With not so good circumstances. Downtown Nashville is also becoming our church family. Linda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Home Run Prayer

From Arrogant Pride to LGBTQ Pride - A Transformation Story

What I Learned About Marriage from my Big Brother