What Does it Mean to do Devotions?

I used to think Christians were incredibly lame when they said, "I have to do my devotions this morning." It made God sound like a mean and boring history teacher making Christians do homework. Perhaps this is why the idea of traditional devotions was never appealing to me. The truth is, I don't read the Bible everyday.  This is not something I am proud of. I am not a very good structured sit down devotional type of Christian. I do enjoy reading the Bible though. Well, honestly that's only true when I read something inspiring and that seems to move my heart that day. Other times I read the Bible and get frustrated, confused, or just bored. But at least I can check that off my good Christian to-do list if I was organized to have a list that is.

I have always been taught that if we want a relationship with God we have to pursue God with all our heart, mind, and soul. I believe many know how to seek God with their minds and hearts but not with their soul. People are great at knowing what to study or how to feel and process emotions. I believe soul has to do with passion and desires stirring in our human heart that we may not even comprehend.

Doing devotions has traditionally been described to me in the conventional idea of reading the Bible and praying in a quiet place. There are many reasons this is wonderful. I do this sometimes. But like I said, I am not good at making this a habit. I am not good at being a sit down devotional Christian but I am pretty good at being an untraditional kind of Christian so perhaps those are the stories I should tell.

Last week I experienced God's love through my soul in a way that I don't quite comprehend. It all happened because it was raining. What I love about living in the South in November is that when it rains, I can still go outside and enjoy it. That's right... ENJOY it. It was sixty seven degrees which to a Michigan girl is still a slice of summer. I overheard others expressing how nasty the weather was while bundling heavy coats up because Southerners think clouds equate to cold weather even if the air is warm.

When I got home, I dressed my son in his swim shorts and a swim shirt and dressed myself in shorts and a T-shirt. I loaded my son in his stroller and hooked the dog to her leash. Then we went for a run. The rain was pouring down. Many heads turned with puzzled eyes as people probably questioned what kind of mother I was making my toddler endure a rainy night in his bathing suit. "Go fast Ma Ma!" My son yelled while laughing. He even pulled the stroller hood back whenever I tried to pull it forward to cover his head. Eventually, I just kept it pulled back and let him enjoy what I was experiencing. My son loves the rain and he loves to get wet because nobody has every told him a rainy night is usually perceived as negative. I love the heart of a child. While some were probably judging me, I was trying to model to my son how to take what others perceive as negative and to turn it into an adventure.

 After the run, I turned on some music and lights so we could dance  in the driveway. We jumped, we played Simon Says, splashed in puddles, spun in circles, and drank rain water... well Desmond drank the water anyway. During this time I couldn't help but be overwhelmed with joy. God was there. I delighted in God while giving thanks for my son, for the rain, for the warmth, and for creating me with a wild and creative spirit. I believe God delighted in us too.

Last night I had the best devotion ever and it wasn't because I was sitting quietly focused reading my Bible. Not that good devotions don't happen that way, but for me it was different this time.
My thoughts are often scattered and focus is not my gift or skill. I am not ADD or ADHD, and my lack of discipline is no excuse to not pursue God's Word every day. However, because I am so scattered and unconventional, I have discovered God in exuberant places that I never imagined. Perhaps, this part of my purpose in life... to seek God in creative and wild ways and invite others to experience the living Christ through unique ways.

I have learned devotions don't have to feel like homework. Devotions can be creative, fun, wild, and free. Devotions should be about devoting our whole life to God. Devotions should help us grow and see God in new ways. Devotions should make others turn their heads and ask, "Why are they living their life differently from everyone else?" Devotions should help us love God with all our heart, mind, and soul through encountering the living Christ.

This is what it means to do devotions.


Comments

  1. this is what it means for me to do devotions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj82P3zkgBU

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Home Run Prayer

From Arrogant Pride to LGBTQ Pride - A Transformation Story

What I Learned About Marriage from my Big Brother