The Other Side of the Fence

When I was in high school, I remember walking in to youth group late skipping all the worship because I had softball practice. People at youth group would give me a hard time about it, but at least I was still there. Sometimes I even missed youth group all together or worse, I would miss a big youth group event of some sort because I had softball. I was a leader for the middle school ministry at my church but in the spring I couldn’t be a leader because my busy softball schedule. My youth leaders and other Christian friends became frustrated with me and told me that I put softball before God. The funny thing was, that they didn’t realize I was late because at the end of softball practice I asked my team to gather and pray before a big game, or that I was walking a team mate to her car and listening to her troubles in life.
I was so pissed off at them for even daring to think I put softball before God when I was bringing God into softball and to my team-mates. They were taking something I loved and ripping God out of it. I can’t blame them for thinking I could only find God at church… How could I possibly worship God on a softball field? Well I did. They never came to my games or supported me with softball. I feel like if my youth leaders were practicing relational youth ministry they would have met me where I was at by coming to my games, encouraging me to reflect the love of Christ to my team-mates, and to worship God in all that I do.

The other night, two of my youth came to one of my softball games as well as my church pastor, and youth pastor friends. It brought tears to my eyes after the game as I watched Kathryn and Brittany, my youth, leave. It was so cool to be on the opposite side of the fence (literally haha). I am usually the one attending games, concerts, talent shows, etc. But they came to support me do something I love. They did what my youth leaders never did for me. And this is place sharing… not only in the sufferings but in the joys. I tell my youth all the time, we are in this together… I will be honest with you and share my struggles and joys. In return I encourage you to be open with me. This has done wonders so far. This is living the gospel! It's not about me being some super youth pastor, but about all of sharing life together and giving the glory to God. I have learned so much from my kids and they continue to teach me all the time... I can't wait to keep discovering faith with them on our crazy journey in life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Run Prayer

From Arrogant Pride to LGBTQ Pride - A Transformation Story

My Thorn