Is There Such Thing as TMI? Umm... YES!!!!!!

My husband and I are preparing to have a baby in November so we decided it would be a good idea to take a birthing class. We signed up for a five week class called "New Beginnings" at Vanderbilt Hospital since that is where we will be delivering. I thought the class would talk about baby facts and would offer relaxation techniques to prepare you for birth. But first they feel the need to inform you of everything you will experience before, during, and after birth. The first class our teacher showed us exactly how the baby pushes through the pelvis as she literally shoved a baby doll through a fake pelvis while stretching the pelvis wide apart. It hurt just looking at it! I kept waking up in the middle of the night picturing a baby being shoved through a fake pelvis yelling... " TMI TMI TMI!!!!!" (Too much information).

The second class was titled Relaxation and Breathing Techniques. "I am really looking forward to this class now that we are past the anatomy part." I told Andrew.

We got to class and the teacher showed a graphic video of everything I never wanted to know or see about giving birth. I must say the baby coming out was not nearly as terrifying as seeing the placenta that followed. I don't get grossed out easily and in health class I loved watching videos of surgeries. However, it's a completely different experience watching a video of something you know is about to happen to you. TMI!!!!!!!!!! Following the video we had to practice relaxed breathing. YEAH RIGHT!!!!

So my question is this? Why as humans do we feel the need to know everything. So we can be prepared? No matter how prepared I try to get, I know when I first give birth I will never know everything. I do believe it is essential to be prepared in important aspects such as learning how to time contractions and knowing to look for problem signs etc. But do I need to know what the placenta looks like after birth?  TMI!!!!!

I hear people say they can't believe in God because they have too many unanswered questions. They don't like what can't be reasoned or explained. I know some Christians who try to explain too much as they take bible verses out of context and write predictions about how and when the world will end. Some think they have all the answers and they have knowledge about people's eternal destination. Some Christians make up reasons of why bad things happen pulling verses from the Bible that don't even apply. Why are we so uncomfortable with simply just not knowing? What is so scary about the unknown? Why is it hard to trust a God we don't fully comprehend?

Maybe it's just the way God made me but I am OK with mystery. In fact, I enjoy mystery! Without mystery there is no adventure. The definition of adventure is embracing an unusual or exciting experience, exploration of unknown territory. I love embracing the unknown. I don't like to plan everything out and I don't want to know my future. I don't like setting goals, I prefer to live out a story. It's not that I embrace newness without fear, but it is the fear that makes it exciting and worthwhile.

I am a bit nervous about giving birth and raising a child, but there is comfort knowing I am not in control. For some reason this theological truth gives others fears that end up controlling their life. For some reason God created us to not know everything He knows. If I had the capacity to know everything I am sure I would be screaming... TMI GOD! TMI!!!!!!!!!! Because I am only human and I know my place in the world is to be human not God. Clearly, when Adam and Eve tried to gain knowledge to be like God it didn't work out very well for them.  Even though I don't understand God, I do trust He knows best. There are some things we need to know and other things only God will ever know. What will be, will be.


Comments

  1. Love this connection!! It is so true. When a friend tried to share about her birthing experience I said don't tell me or you'll scare me away! =) Love you three!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Home Run Prayer

From Arrogant Pride to LGBTQ Pride - A Transformation Story

What I Learned About Marriage from my Big Brother