Mouse in the Kitchen

A few days ago when I was getting a drink of water in the youth kitchen I heard something rustling around behind the cupboards. It scared the junk out of me for a second because I knew I was the only one in the youth area at the time. Then I remembered it was just my friend Stewart, the mouse. I saw his tiny gray body dash across the counter top and instead of shreaking in terror and complaining to the trustees I just smiled and calmly said, "Hello Stewart." I could stress out about the mouse and worry what others would think if they saw him, or I could make a new friend and maybe even create a new youth game called "Catch the Mouse and get a prize!".
This new attitude started making me wonder why I stress so much about little things in life.

I have been at our church for four years now and mice in the youth area have always been a problem. I try to remind everyone not to leave food out and to clean up etc. We have left mouse traps and had pest control come. However, it just continues to be a problem. I could keep spending time and energy trying to fix this but instead I have embraced it and I have been amazed at how this new attitude has dropped my stress level a bit. I started wondering... what other issues do I perceive as problems in my life that I could embrace instead of fighting against? Or what other problems in the church do we spend too much time and energy fighting against when we could just embrace them, change our perspective, and move on?

Comments

  1. That mouse would have scared me to death!! Very good message... it makes me ponder my actions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see what’s really causing these mice to infiltrate the youth area. It’s the members themselves that cause these to attack the church. Discipline is the key. Your church members should learn how to clean the place, all the time.

    Selena Slough

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Home Run Prayer

From Arrogant Pride to LGBTQ Pride - A Transformation Story

What I Learned About Marriage from my Big Brother