Hiding From God

Wife: Why didn't you tell me?

Husband: Because I didn't want to argue and make you mad.

Wife: But I am finally feeling better about it. 

Husband: You are? How could you be feeling better when now we are fighting?

Wife: Because I rather be together arguing than not communicating at all.

This is a discussion Andrew and I had once during an argument. It was a profound moment for Andrew when he realized arguing wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Although it's rough in the moment, often times arguing is part of the healing process while I learn more about myself and my husband.

I learned from this discussion that often times we treat God the exact same way. We stick our heads in the sand and pretend everything is OK with God who already knows everything! Why do we think we can hide from God? Why do we choose to avoid and not talk to God? God knows us better than anyone! Even when we go to God in anger and or frustration I believe God is thrilled that we are finally going to Him with our pain. I believe God rather have us come to him arguing and angry than to not communicate at all. David understood this full well in Psalm 139...

O Lord, you have examined my heart
    and know everything about me.
You know when I sit down or stand up.
    You know my thoughts even when I’m far away.
You see me when I travel
    and when I rest at home.
    You know everything I do.
You know what I am going to say
    even before I say it, Lord.
You go before me and follow me.
    You place your hand of blessing on my head.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too great for me to understand!
7I can never escape from your Spirit!
    I can never get away from your presence!

So why do we stick our heads in the sand and avoid God? Why is it easier to avoid problems or not talk about them? If we admit to God our deepest struggles and sin we are admitting we failed and we need help. This is a hard truth to swallow. Truth is because humans hate feeling stupid or wrong. We hate to deal with our pain because we are emotional wusses. It may feel easier in the moment to hide. However, if we don't take care of our issues openly they will just continue to build. The more we stuff or hide, the bigger the explosion will be when our problems overwhelm us to the point of no return. God will not help us until we ask Him to and admit our brokenness.


So time to deal with our junk. How are you hurting today? How have you hurt others? How have others hurt you? How have you hurt in the past? Talk about it with someone you trust. Write it out. Yell it out to God. Sit in silence. Cry. Sing. Box. Run. Draw. Paint. Sit in the rain. Join a small group. Hike in nature. Get counseling. Read. Throw your worries/sin/hurt in a fire. Just DO something instead of hiding. Get your head out of the sand and deal with it so God can carry you through it. He won't carry you though unless you choose to let Him hold you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Run Prayer

From Arrogant Pride to LGBTQ Pride - A Transformation Story

What I Learned From Marriage Counseling