Living as the Church

I have been playing ball ever since I was old enough to throw a ball. I played competitively on school teams, travel teams, and even in college. I LOVED everything about softball. More than the game, I loved being part of a team. I loved playing and learning with girls who were not always my best friends but we still had to learn to play together. I have learned endless life lessons from the game itself and being part of team.

As much as I loved softball I also loved youth group and going to church. It was a never a doubt in my mind that I loved God way more than softball. I wish I could say the same for what people thought about me.

I remember a few conversations in high school with some people at church. Sometimes I missed church or youth events because I had a tournament or even practices on Sundays.  I remember practicing Sundays once and while and rushing to church to try and catch the last hour of youth group. I would come in with my softball outfit on. I always felt loved and supported by my youth group and youth leaders but no place is perfect. I had a few people tell me how horrible they thought it was that I missed church for sports. Some people even told me I put softball before God. This would have broke my heart if it was true but I knew better.

 Here is what people didn't know before they chose to judge.

After my practice on Sunday my team mates had a meeting because they were all terribly disturbed by something our coach did. They were trying to come up with a plan of what to do and how to react back. They were horribly angry and rightfully so. I wasn't the captain but I was well respected. When they asked for my opinion I preached forgiveness. I told them about how nobody is out of reach of God's grace and everyone needs to be forgiven. I told them some day they would do something really stupid and would want forgiveness too. I told them if they wanted any hope in being a team again we needed to forgive.

Even though I missed church sometimes and I missed out on youth trips for softball tournaments it didn't make me any less Godly. I chose to bring God to my team mates, on the field, in the dug out, and on the long bus rides. We talked about our faith, we shared prayer requests, we made encouraging posters and hung them on each others lockers. I loved being part of a team. We were not a Christian school or a Christian team but we loved each other with God's love even if some people didn't fully recognize it was God.

If people miss church because of sports or any other reason is it our place to judge? We have no idea what is going on in people's lives. Perhaps they are bringing God outside the church walls. Perhaps God has called them to something bigger... yes even bigger than church. Instead of making judgements and giving people guilt trips of where they are we should ask how they are.

Going to church does NOT equal having a relationship with God. Going to church doesn't get you any bonus points in heaven. Showing up on Sundays is not a guarantee you will get closer to God. If families are down at the ball fields on Sundays, instead of being disappointed in them what if we encouraged them to continue building relationships? Don't we do that at church too? What if the church met them where they are at? What if we, as church members, sat by their side and encouraged their kids to play for God's glory and celebrated their talents and/or teamwork? What an incredible example this would be of Christ's love.

I think it is still healthy and helpful to attend a worship service but if people miss once and a while or even for a season... does that make them less Godly?

Church is important and it is an excellent place to worship in fellowship with other believers. It's also a great place to serve God with gifts He has given you. I love church. but church is not just a time and place, it's the people. In case you missed it... Church is not the building... IT IS THE PEOPLE.

So feel free to go outside of the building and be the church. Worship and have fellowship with believers and non-believers. If you miss church sometimes that's OK. I encourage you to miss church once and a while and go hiking with your family. Pray together. Worship together. Have a party at your house. Listen to sermons. Sing worship music in the car with your friends. Church is supposed to be lived weekly not just stuck in a pew on Sundays. So don't just go to church, be the church!

This church knows EXACTLY what I am talking about...

Comments

  1. I find it interesting that even throughout the Bible when people were attending services in the temple, tabernacle, and synagogues, almost all of the big God experiences happened elsewhere. It seems like God shows up in the wilderness more than anywhere else. Sometimes I think we should have a different model of church where we roam around outside like Jesus and his disciples. Jesus never seemed to be concerned about the where.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my dad played balland our 3 kids played baseball and softball every weekend possible. i was a scorekeeper mom and Jim was 3rd base coach. loved it. now we cheer for the grandkids. jennys trophies are now n her home. everyone misses church some. life does "happen". as a native American..our people worshiped outside..but even there..the Great Spirit was the focus. Luke tells us.. Jesus went to the synagogue as was his custom. so for me...when the bell rings Sunday morning I know where my heart leads me. Linda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Home Run Prayer

From Arrogant Pride to LGBTQ Pride - A Transformation Story

What I Learned From Marriage Counseling