My Calling

Many people during my teenage and young adult years (especially lately) have been asking when I am going to go to seminary to get ordained.

For those who have been asking, this conversation with my husband pretty much sums up how I feel...


Me: " I don't know what to do because I LOVE preaching - and I know it's a gift - but I don't want to preach every Sunday. Plus, there is no way I ever want to be in charge of a church and deal with all the shenanigans and drama. Not to mention, I am not super jazzed about going back to school. But I love people so much! I love mentoring and listening to stories. I love teaching the Bible in a radical way. I want to inspire passion, vision, and enthusiasm for God! I want to love and help people find God in their daily lives.  I know these are gifts and passions that I can't ignore, but it stresses me out to think about being a lead pastor.

Andrew: "I got it! You know what you should do?"

Me: "What?!"

Andrew: "Sounds like you should be a youth pastor."

Me: "Oh yeah. Duh!"

"I learned from Joseph that being called by God, it seems, is about serving God, not getting famous or receiving glory or being rich. Being called by God is about laying down your life; doing small, secret things. " - Donald Miller. Check out his blog at http://storylineblog.com/2013/02/18/what-does-being-called-by-god-mean/

For those who keep asking if I have heard my call yet... I respond in the words of Donald Miller... "To feel called by God is to serve God by loving people." So yes, I hear this call to serve God, and I try to love people every day. I hope you are making the same efforts.

Comments

  1. I love Donald Miller and we're lucky to have someone who loves what she does. That's not common and it's refreshing to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew is so smart!!! I agree you would be/are a perfect youth pastor!!! Keep up the good work teaching the Bible in a radical way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it:-) You are pretty Awesome...Cory

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about doing something additional on the side? Maybe speaking at youth conferences or starting your own youth conferences? Kind of like Joyce Meyer conferences for youth (which means crank the music louder and have beach balls)? You would be great at that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Home Run Prayer

From Arrogant Pride to LGBTQ Pride - A Transformation Story

What I Learned From Marriage Counseling