In Desperate Need of an Unpolitical Saviour

I am not sure how much more I can stand listening to reports about "Who is winning" when it comes to the government shutdown. I don't like politics but I do believe politics are necessary. I absolutely can't stand when political parties give themselves God's stamp of approval on everything they decide. Most of all, I hate how so many people associate the term "Christian" to political beliefs.

What is so political about Jesus? How did Jesus become such a political figure today? Well, the truth is people have been trying to make Jesus a political figure since the Bible times.
The Jews were waiting for the Messiah (meaning saviour) to come in a political sense. Jews were waiting for God to send a a hero to conquer the Roman empire. This Saviour would also rescue them from socio-economic troubles as well. God sends Himself not as warrior or political hero but humbly as a helpless baby boy. God always seems to show up in ways through out the Bible completely surprising me. Throughout the book of Mark, Jesus is trying to stay somewhat unknown to the public. When He finally makes his public debut in the Psalm Sunday story, Jesus shows up on a donkey. Apparently, when Kings wanted to show up to a city and conquer it they would arrive on a horse. However, if Kings wanted to bring peace they would appear on a donkey to represent peace. Jesus' message to Jerusalem and to the world is to bring peace.

Yet, our government is so dysfunctional that is is shutdown. There is terror throughout the middle east. Children are starving. Relationships are broken. States and countries are going bankrupt. Addictions are running rampant. Unemployment is too high. Poverty is everywhere. And now our political leaders are acting like a bunch of whinny toddlers.

 So many people are asking, "Where is the peace?"

Jesus came not to fulfill a political agenda or to fix our socio-economic mess but to transform our hearts.  This truth was not realized by the Jews in the New Testament when they were anticipating a King to save them from their political mess. However, we are not so different from the Jews in Bible times as we anticipate God will fix our political messes by associating Christ to our political choices. I think we have forgotten that Christ came to turn us from our self-centeredness. Jesus wants to transform the hearts of individuals, and through this transformation we will experience redemption for all the injustice in the world.


Our government is a mess because our hearts are a mess.

So where is the peace in the midst of all this mess?

I wish I had an answer to that question. This has been a difficult entry to write because I don't know how to write about peace in explainable words. I think this is what Paul meant in Philippians 4:6-7 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." 

True peace transcends all understanding as it is so much more than anyone or any thing besides God can give. Peace is tough to explain because peace really does transcend my understanding. However, I am going to try explaining how I sense peace. 


I feel true peace when all anxieties and worries are lifted. An anxious heart comes from fear. A peaceful heart is without fear. 1John 4:18 "Perfect love drives out fear." I find peace when I am completely content basking in God's unconditional love. 


I find peace when I constantly submit my will to God and attempt to get out of my shell of self-centeredness.

I find peace when I am humbled even though the process of getting there is painful.

I find peace when I have a grateful heart, because in the gratefulness my heart is content.

I experience the deepest peace when I try to admit frequently that I need Jesus Christ to save me from my sin and despair. It is in the times of deepest despair which I have felt God's peace transcend all understanding.

We are all in desperate need of a Saviour. I pray you find peace in knowing you are saved by God's gift of grace and love. And I hope and pray our political leaders will allow God's grace and humility to work in their hearts in such a way that their individual transformation will lead to a redeemed nation.
Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Run Prayer

From Arrogant Pride to LGBTQ Pride - A Transformation Story

What I Learned About Marriage from my Big Brother