What I Learned from Breaking into a Lawyer's House

 Nannying is not a life career choice for me, but it is currently a way I can help pay the bills and be with my son until my husband graduates. I remember my interview with Kristal at Starbucks when she said, "We are a Christian family, we are the real deal."

I wasn't exactly sure what "the real deal" in her perspective meant, but I was hoping what she meant was that this family really loved Jesus and they weren't just culturally Christian. I was hoping this family would truly reflect the love of Christ to me and would allow me to do so with them. After a few weeks of nannying for them they seemed like the "real deal". However, I have learned there are so many people who love to call themselves Christians, but don't really love Christ or others very well. I really wanted to believe this family was the real deal since I just left an unhealthy work environment and wanted to trust my next employers.

One day while playing with the kids I felt my my energy level sinking. I completely forgot I had a soy mocha drink in my car! Score! I put the five month old in his swing for a minute, and left my son in the entertainment room watching his favorite show. I stepped out the door triple checking that it was unlocked and the security system was not activated. I ran down twenty four stairs, grabbed my drink, and sprinted back to the top of the porch when my stomach dropped because I realized the front door was locked. How could it be locked? I checked it!!!?  My hands started trembling and panic set in... I was locked out with no cell phone and the kids were locked in by themselves!

I sprinted around the house and tried to open the back door but it was locked. I ripped off every screen on every window I could reach. I tried to pry open the windows with no success. I finally ran to the back door again with every amount of adrenaline in my body, I completely ripped the slider door open even though it was locked. I was now in their back porch but there was another locked door into the kitchen. I couldn't open that door with my adrenaline power so I tried all the windows in the back porch. This is when I noticed my almost two year old son had escaped from the room and was running around the entire house by himself!

"Mama!!!" He said, pounding on the window with a sad face.

"It's gonna be OK baby. I need you to do Mama a favor... Get the key on the table and put it in the door. "

"Key?"

"Yes baby, get the key for Mama and put it in the door. Key in the door. Come on baby you can do it!" Get the key! Get the key!"

"Key! Key! Key!" Desmond yells while running around in circles.

"OK God please do a miracle and get Desmond to open this door. Please God!" I prayed.

"KEY!!!!" Desmond yells excitedly while running around the room. He has no idea what I am talking about. FAIL!

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to wait for a miracle. I have to stop and think.

What can I use? What is around me that I can use as a tool? I saw a pair of scissors and tried to jam them under the window to pop it open.  Another FAIL! What if my son hurts himself, or drinks cleaner, or hurts the baby, or Lord knows what else?

I need help. What if I go to the neighbors? They will probably call the cops and what will the cops do? By the time cops get here it may be too late. I have to get to my son now. Whatever it takes I have to get in there. I knew my only solution was the last possible solution I could come up with. I had to bust a window. I don't care if I have to pay for it or they fire me, but I have to get to those kids. So I decided to pick the window in the bedroom where Desmond won't go so he can't get hurt. I picked up a vase and smashed the window in about three blows. Glass shattered everywhere! I heard Desmond knocking at the door and I started knocking the glass down faster so I could get inside before my son could get to the broken glass.

After a few cuts on my hand, and a major hit to my pride, tears streaming down my face, my son wrapped his arms around me and said, "Big hug Mommy!"

I cried. I was so embarrassed yet, relieved. Until I remembered, Kristal is a lawyer! I started to panic again thinking I may not only get fired and fined, but what if there is some kind of lawsuit I put myself in? That probably doesn't make any sense but I thought it at the time.

After feeding baby Kaleb who was crying through the whole thing, I finally called Kristal and told her everything. She told me she was glad everyone was alright and that she learned a lesson because she never gave me the code to get back into the house.

"A code? I needed a code?" I asked.

"Yes, the doors automatically lock after thirty seconds even if the security system is not activated." She said.

Even though this wasn't completely my fault I still felt responsible. So I offered to pay for it all.
The next day Kristal and her husband told me they both would have done the same thing if they were me. They also told me not to worry about the cost and they would pay for everything. Kristal wasn't lying when she said, "They were the real deal." This family showed me so much grace and love from the whole incident. We actually all laugh about it now, even though I am still somewhat humiliated.

So here is what I learned after breaking into a lawyers house...


Don't Give Up. Even when it feels impossible or hopeless, determination goes a LONG way.

Don't cover tracks. If you are in a situation where you have to do something damaging, just embrace the humility and get it all out.  After the incident I tried putting all the screens back in to at least make it look like I didn't completely destroy their house. But trying to fix it just made it all worse. Best to just fess up with every detail.

Don't let fears win. Use your fears for good, don't let them give you a panic attack. Turn fear into perseverance to get through the situation.

Stop, breathe, and think through ALL solutions. Don't panic, think about all your options and resources.

Ask... Is it worth it? Was it worth breaking the window? Getting hurt? Paying the cost? Putting my job at stake? No doubt in my mind because at the end of the day it kept my kid safe.

Just because prayer isn't answered instantly doesn't mean God is not listening or not there. If God answered my prayer I would not have this story to tell. I also have seen the people I nanny for as the "real deal." I have a newfound respect for them and their faith.

Comments

  1. Love this Sam!! Nothing like smashing windows and nannying!! :P Just remember HULK SMASH!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Home Run Prayer

From Arrogant Pride to LGBTQ Pride - A Transformation Story

What I Learned About Marriage from my Big Brother