I Want Everything I Want! (Lessons from my 4 Year old about Gratitude)

Our family trip to Target for diapers and a wifi modem turned out to be mini revelation for me that I just had to share with y'all! My life was yet again reflected back to me through the perspective of a four year old. Within minutes of arriving, my son already had it in his head he was getting a toy. For the life of me, I don’t know why sometimes he’s 100% fine with not getting a toy and other Target trips he just gets it in his head that is the way it will be. Today was one of those days. It also happened to be one of those days that no matter what logic you try to pour into his head about getting over the disappointment; he was not going to stop bawling his eyes out. So I gave my husband the look and said, “We will be outside.” I grabbed my son’s hand and calmly walked him outside turning every head in Target toward our direction. There we sat on a flowerbed ledge where I let my boy cry his eyes out. Our conversation went a little like this…

Me: Sweetheart, I know you are disappointed that you don’t get a toy this time. But Dadddy and Mommy aren’t going to get you everything you want all the time.

Desmond: But I want everything I want!!! I just wanted a little toy! Just one toy!

Me: Yeah baby, I hear you. I want all the things I want too, and it makes me feel frustrated when I don’t get things I want. But do you know what I do to help?

Desmond: What?

Me: I think of all the things that I do have and I think about how thankful I am for those things. Want to make a gratitude list with me?

Desmond: No! I am not thankful for anything!

Me: You’re not? I sure am. I am so thankful for the world and everything beautiful in it.

Desmond: No! I hate the world and everything in it! And I don’t love you any more.

Me: Well, I still love you and I am thankful you are my son.

I continued to rattle of a list of things I was grateful for even though my son continued to express how incredibly angry he was in numerous ways. This meltdown was pretty epic.

Yet, for a brief moment while we were sitting on that flowerbed ledge, God put me in my son’s shoes and took my place as the parent. I had a moment where I realized I have been acting the same way to God as my son has been acting towards me.

For the past six weeks I have been having my own pity party. I have been struggling with a pretty severe ulcerative colitis flare. I have been wrestling with this chronic disease for a decade and I still don’t know how to handle life when I get a flare up.  I have been sick the entire summer and I am just waiting until September for this new drug I am to officially start working in my system. In the mean time, it’s steroids again which make me feel like a crazy person. The pain of the disease is horrific. I have been eating the most boring bland hardly can call it food all summer. Not to mention everything taste terrible anyway from the meds I am on. I take over 15 pills a day among other things to help fight it.


So my prayer life looks a little like this…

Me: God, this sucks! (Fill in curse words here). I am so pissed off right now. I can’t deal with this. I can’t plan anything. I can’t eat anything. I can hardly leave the house. And it’s summer time in Michigan, which means everything you ever wanted to do that involves outside has to be done. But guess what? I need to go the bathroom a lot and when I do it’s urgent as heck. So hiking, camping, and parks without urgent restroom access is out of the question. A quick trip to the pool with two kids? Not going to happen if I have to haul their butts out of the pool at lightning speed to book it in the bathroom. Summer also brings potlucks, BBQ, and weddings with free food/alcohol that I will get to enjoy none of. And don’t even get me started on all the summer beers I don’t get to have.  Oh and the ice-cream!  Everyone else gets to do whatever fun things they want and I get to stay home and poop in pain excessively. Sucks. Sucks. Sucks. I just want to be healthy. I just want to do all the things I want!!!!!!!!! Have I mentioned I am ridiculously mad at you for not fixing me yet?!

God: Have you tried making a gratitude list?

Me: Not doing that right now. I have a right to feel miserable and sit in my misery.

God: OK cool. I will continue to bring things to your attention that you can be grateful for in the mean time.

And God certainly has been bringing an abundance of things to my attention this week to inspire my gratefulness. Just wished I noticed it sooner. But here’s what I have been learning…

It’s easy to get bitter and focus on how much everything sucks and is going wrong. It’s totally OK to hurt and sit in that pain for a while. However, I have discovered the only way to truly get through the misery is to learn something from it all, which always leads to redemption. I have learned gratitude is the key to destroying the bitterness that lingers in the heart. Gratitude does not come naturally to me but it is worth practicing. Having a grateful heart has helped me to overcome sins of coveting and jealousy. Gratitude has allowed me to have joy even during the most profound miserable circumstances of my life. If there is anything this stupid disease has taught me, it’s that even through the chronic pain, chronic joy is possible. Don’t get me wrong, I still get royally pissed off about this disease, but persevering with a heart of gratitude is what keeps me sane at the end of the day.


Thank you to my son and Jesus for teaching me all this. I have so much more to learn.

Comments

  1. This Chronic Joy post today sounds very much like your post above .... https://chronic-joy.org/2016/07/14/when-words-are-messy/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Home Run Prayer

From Arrogant Pride to LGBTQ Pride - A Transformation Story

What I Learned About Marriage from my Big Brother